Still feeling tired after your company picnic?It may be dehydration. If you are feeling confused, light-headed, and/or fatigued, you are on your way to trouble! Here are some important tips to help you stay healthy before, during and after the event:
- Drink often and drink regularly. Do not rely on thirst! By the time you are feeling thirsty, there is already a significant fluid deficit.
- Don’t drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar–these actually cause you to lose more body fluid. Also, avoid very cold drinks, because they can cause stomach cramps.
- Drink more than just water. Replacing the fluid alone (with just water) can lead to electrolyte imbalances. Try drinks that will replenish those like Gatorade, Powerade or Vitamin Waters.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide-brimmed hat (also keeps you cooler) and sunglasses and by putting on sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher (the most effective products say “broad spectrum” or “UVA/UVB protection” on their labels).
This is not something to mess with! It is not just feeling “thirsty”. These deficiencies can be life-threatening, so take care out there!